Thursday, January 10, 2013

Making something out of NOTHING: I'm an EXPERT.

Little story for you...followed by a recipe, I PROMISE! :)

I vividly remember around this time last year, a typical work day coming to an end. Typical being....I was up at the crack of dawn, home late from work, tired.... and in NO mood too cook.  (Thank God, I don't  have kids, because they would starve!)  Top this off with AWESOME...  my husband invited some friends over for dinner, and failed to mention it.  (Huh??  how does this happen exactly?)   I walked through the door, fully intending on dropping my "stuff" and park it on the couch... a safe assumption: we're ordering IN tonight!  Only, as I open the door I hear the lovely voice of one of my dearest friends Becky (always happy to see Becky) So, no big deal, I thought ... it's just Adam and Becky, they won't mind if I don't cook and we order something, right?  I was JUST about to suggest we order Chinese... when Becky said, with the enthusiasm you only hear from a kid on Christmas might I add.."I can't wait...what are you cooking tonight? I've been looking forward to your dinner, since I heard we were coming!"  OMFG!  ARE YOU KIDDING ME??  Oh gawd... I can't possibly suggest take out now!  Oh yeah another topping of awesome....  I hadn't done groceries for the better part of two weeks...  SHIT!  Naturally...panic inside was setting in, even thought I looked cool as a cucumber! No biggie right! I excused myself for a moment to "change", headed upstairs to figure this out!  What is a girl to do, do I tell them the truth??? OF course not, that's too easy! It's funny, It's not like they wouldn't understand, I just hate to disappoint anyone who's looking forward to my cooking I guess!   I literally said to myself..."what would Martha do?"  Martha would turn Kraft dinner into a 4 course meal! Booyah! Side note:  It's SO like me to not admit my predicament, scramble and stress...then pull a fab "something" (In this case it was dinner!) out of my ass!   I can't remember what I made that day... BUT I remember, Becky saying halfway through watching me make the meal..."How do you make a meal like THAT  out of nothing!  The honest answer... I don't know Becky! LOL

Fast forward...  Wednesday January 2nd, 2013...  FML, back to work after the holidays!  It's always SO hard to get back into the swing of things after a week off!  Blahhh! It was like deja vu... again, NO MOOD to cook, and I hadn't done groceries since Christmas Eve, since we'd been living on Christmas left overs!  But we must eat... so to the kitchen I go.  I'm about to make something out of nothing!  I couldn't help but think of Becky while I was cooking this!

My findings....

1) A tomato
2) Low fat Ricotta Cheese
3) A veggie tray, that was a day from going bad! (R & G peppers, cucumber and celery)
4) Froze garlic (in abundance, see previous post on freezing garlic :P)
5) Cheddar Cheese (champagne cheddar- It is DELICIOUS...I had a tiny piece left)
6) A VERY stale baguette
7) At least 6 boxes of pasta- half empty...
8) Canned Maple Beans & Canned crushed tomatoes
9) EVERY condiment you could imagine!
10) ORGANIC basil (I have a basil plant in my kitchen, I've "labelled" it organic...lol)
11) I ALWAYS have onions!  YOU CAN ALWAYS USE AN ONION!


FYI: I didn't use ALL  of these ingredients... I really could make a few things with these ingredients, BUT how's about a little Cannelloni!!!!  And it only took me 45 minutes.  Start to finish!  30 minutes of baking included! Only a few steps... 


To start: Pre-heat oven at 375 degrees, or 350 degrees for a convection oven. 
My BASIC sauce!  It's a staple,  always delicious, and SO easy to make! 
Sauce Ingredients: 
One can of crush tomatoes, one fine diced onion, 1 tablespoon of garlic (thawed),  Lisa's organic basil (I like a lot of basil, use as much or as little as you would like!), salt & pepper to taste. 
I HAPPEN  to be having a glass of red wine while I was cooking...You can throw some of that juice in too if you want! I did  :) 

Sweat the onions until they are clear in colour, add the garlic, cooking it a few seconds (until you can smell it cooking) add your wine & crushed tomatoes.  Chop your basil, and throw er' in.  Bring it to a boil, turn it down to simmer while you make you filling! 
Super easy! 

On to the filling... 

I fine diced my onion, tomato and almost bad red and green pepper slices (almost bad... dry, but still good!) 

I toasted my stale bread (1/2 a baguette) - It was really crispy! I put the crusty bread in a ziploc bag, and beat the crap out of it with a rolling pin.  You could use a food processor if you wanted... I guess!  I added a tsp of Italian spices, tsp. of garlic powder and tsp of Parmesan cheese to the breadcrumbs. 

I mixed my onions, peppers, tomato, ricotta and half my bread crumbs together.  I could have eaten just the filling for dinner... It smelt sooo good!  There's the filling, THAT'S IT!   


I had 6 ready-bake cannelloni shells in the cupboard. 

I filled a ziploc bag with my filling and cut one corner, using the ziploc as a piping bag to fill my shells. 

I lined the bottom of a square casserole dish with my sauce and placed my cannelloni on top.  I completely covered the top of the shells with sauce, reserving a little for later.  Sprinkled Parmesan and a little shredded champagne cheddar on top. Covered with tin foil and baked for 30 minutes.  

CK1, likes everything that get put in the oven "crispy on top" so I removed the tin foil around 25 minutes in, so the cheese on top got "crispy".  You can keep it covered, or crisp it up, it's up to you! 

I HAVE NO MORE PICTURES!  Blame Chris. :)  

It was 7:45pm when we sat down to eat this FAB dinner... There was no time for "finish product" pictures SORRY!  I do promise, I will make this again, and take a "finish product" pic....  

Bon appetit!  Hope you enjoy.... Thanks for reading!  
L. G.  xo   

1 comment:

  1. Always a good read!!! You have a knack for this Lisa!!

    ReplyDelete